Therapy helps children and teenagers to overcome emotional challenges so that they can reach their full potential. Therapy methods will vary depending on the presenting problem and treatment goals that the client (and/or parents when applicable) wishes to address. In order for effective therapy to take place, I need to understand the strengths and areas of difficulty for each client. Therefore, the first 1-2 sessions are spent conducting an initial assessment that involves discussions and interviews to gain an understanding any current difficulties, and may include the use of questionnaires or other assessment instruments as needed. Following this initial assessment, I will provide treatment suggestions including therapy methods and techniques. Typically, I check in with the client (and parents when applicable), at the end of 5-6 sessions to discuss progress and whether further work is warranted/would be of benefit. Therapy may occur once a week or otherwise, which is decided on an ongoing bases in collaboration with the client (and parents when applicable).
Dr. Cappadocia can provide therapy for children and adolescents who are having difficulties with:
- Mood (e.g. sadness, depression, low self-esteem)
- Anxiety (e.g. general anxiety, social anxiety, phobias, obsessive-compulsive behaviours)
- Anger and Self-Regulation (e.g. tantrums or anger/aggression outbursts)
- Oppositional/Defiant Behaviour (e.g. oppositional/non-compliant behaviour, argumentative with adults and/or peers, parenting challenges)
- Social skills (e.g. difficulties developing and maintaining friendships, difficulties interpreting verbal and nonverbal communication, difficulties effectively assessing social situations)